Post by darkmaster »

i finished a map it's a sort of domebox map
ImageImageImage

you can download it here:
download
FougereDeGuerre

Post by FougereDeGuerre »

Glad to see other people mapping :-)

Already three maps Darkmaster, that's already a nice start.
But maybe you don't have to post all the map you did and make map with something special on it.
Let's work your imagination and don't only remake maps that are already existing with some particularities. Also try to add decals, and use textures.
In this map the textures are the one of domebox (the white texture of the dome is metallic and not brick, tha'ts one change) and your "house isn't in a texture which match with the choice of your other textures.

Also, try to don't create camping places. Your elevators are a bit slow, and the top platform contain crossbow, lot of armor and health. Because a slow elevator is the only mean to access it, it is a really good camping place.

Try to dispatch health and armor on the map...

But this is only your third map, thus it's already a good result, but maybe you don't have to publish all your maps, only the one you found special or already well finished.

According to me, the main problem in killbox mapping is to have a KISS idea (keep it simple and stupid). After that, you only have to map by using the correct tools depending from situation, and using a lot the nodraw texture.

Thus, focuses yourself on origninal idea, but simple (no ventilator of incredible weigh having to turn at incredible speed, or map with rounded pipes everywhere in which you can run and launch balls ...) because those need lot of time, lot of work, and sometimes works well on your PC but not on a server :-)

OK, all that prose only to say: try to found original concept, or design of map, and not only a poor plagia of existing maps. This was good because you can familiarize yourself with hammer, but try to go a step further now :-)

Force may be with you mate.

If you have question about mapping, just ask, by example on the forum, so that if I know the answer I can give it to you, or search it.
Also, take a look at mapping site like Mapping area (sorry french for this one) you can found there some models, textures (photorealistic tiles, wood, metal, marble, ... ), and lot of really usefull an well written tutorials about mapping.
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
darkmaster

Post by darkmaster »

thank you very much and but i don't know how to creat a big house like dm_house_emc2_v1 i will ask to anti fougere how...
but thank you ;)
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

what's a strange map !
i will try it when i'm at home.

but follow fougere's advice... think about gameplay !