Water Cooling...don't do this at home kids...

All things you want to say
FuzzyBear9
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Water Cooling...don't do this at home kids...

Post by FuzzyBear9 »

Performed a routine cleanout of my Koolance EXOS 2 unit last weekend.
As well as drainage and replacement coolant for the unit, I also replaced the LCD display.
Let me tell you, it became complicated very quickly! Not so much bad design, just very robust build by Koolance that required alot of patience.
The upside is that my display is now fixed, and so I am one happy bunny! :lol:

First BE - Then DO - Only then TELL
U SLAAAAAAGZ

Post by U SLAAAAAAGZ »

is it needed, i play on laptop that almosts melts and ive not noticed a difference if its melting hot or uber cold ?? altought it does look very good is it worth the time and moeny for a desktop pc :)
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

U SLAAAAAAGZ wrote: altought it does look very good is it worth the time and moeny for a desktop pc :)
sorry to say i'm ageee.
FuzzyBear9
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by FuzzyBear9 »

Actually it is.

My cooling rig uses a water block on the CPU and hydrapacks on my twin raptors.
Without it my cpu would hit temperatures around 33-38C idle and my drives hit 65-70C.
With the Koolance unit the system idles @ 18C

I still use a 939 X2 4400+ @2.75GHz with temps peaking no more than 36C full load.
HL2DM is nothing on the CPU, but games like Bioshock and Oblivion tax systems this old.
More importantly the EXOS 2 is a sensible investment as you can transfer it from system to system.
Remember, things that reduce the life expectancy of any system, whether desktop or laptop are heat and dust.

It is also extremely quiet as no HSF.
You can clock an Intel G0 Q6600@4GHZ+ and keep temps to sub 30C.

On custom servers, we cool upto four PCs with one unit - it's that powerful.

All it needs are some fish hehe :D
Last edited by FuzzyBear9 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

How does it fit on the Cpu?.. the main thing goes into one of the 2.2" slots and the separate thing onto the CPU?.. it costs a lot though, doesnt it?:)
Fuzzy, can I ask you for a favour, more an advice? I still experience the same GPU problems that i had from the start.. Those that when i play almost any game, I get graphical bugs all over the place... pixels stretching across is the main thing, but i also get texture bugs and stuff like that... In HL2DM its mostly the polygons stretching across the screen from objects, in Bioshock that i launched yesterday it was squares on the screen where the polygon in HL2DM would stretch:).. Doom3 engine on Doom3 and Quake4 is the same problem, but far worse.. older engines seem to tolerate it better - I hardly got any bugs in FarCry. And brand new ones (not bioshock, i figured:)) like Splinter Cell DA - no bugs at all... My concern is whether its progressing or not, so thats one question for you - can a hardware bug progress?.. Ill try to reinstall SplinterCell DA and see again.. The reason Im sure it is a hardware bug is that when I installed the GPU, I was running Win2k and the bug appearance was 100% in HL2DM, i.e. it was ALL OVER THE PLACE and it was impossible to get rid of them... then i installed XP and the bugs reduced, from my knowledge, XP has a better compatibility with games, so it could have partly fixed the problem. I tried different drivers, re-formatted the PC and everyhting - no success... When i play HL2DM and the bugs start to appear at some point, when they get too bad - I minimize the window and go back - this re-sets the renderer, i suppose, and clears the bugs till they start appearing again, sometimes they are not so bad and its playable.. So, back to the point, my sugestion is that the reason is that I have a recent generation GPU (7900GS) installed on an ancient motherboard with 915i chipset, so, basically, I blame the motherboard being so old and incompatible with the graphics card. Another cause of the bugs maybe the GPU itself, but thats a rather unpleasant thought, coz i paid 120 quid for it last year:).. Another reason I would not suggest its the GPU is that if it was a hardware bug, it would be very unlikely that it ONLY expresses itself in that way, nothing else is affected apart from vertex rendering (i think it is)... So, I wasnt gonna tell you the whole story, but Im so desperate for a way out, that I hoped you might help me at east with my reasoning.. I monitored the heat levels of the GPU, with 130C being the factory threshold, it hardly goes above, erm, 50, as far as I remember, when playing HL2DM, not more than that for sure, so it cant be overheating... Soooooo:).. The real question for you is, could you help me find a motherboard model with a newer chipset and an acceptable price? something below 50-60 pounds, coz I looked on the net and its a bit hard to make my way through dozens of them, coz, first, i need to find an acceptable model of the motherboard, and, then, i need to find a cheaper supplier of this acceptable model of the motherboard:).. and I cant get past the first step yet.. I would really appreciate your help.. This post by reminded me that you were an IT technician, so I asked:)..
I know, Cynyx, you work in IT as well,but I think you are to do with software and you wouldnt be able to help with british prices and cheap suppliers, but if youve got any advices for me - I would highly appreciate that too..
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

too hard to read... paragraphs are so good sometimes... :P
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

Cynyx wrote:too hard to read... paragraphs are so good sometimes... :P
I agree :D
spongebob is a serial killer!!!!
FuzzyBear9
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by FuzzyBear9 »

I thought we had a moderator for things like this...what's his name...hmmm.... :lol:
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Whaaat?:).. i can read that:).. and the moderator can, im sure!.. otherwise, he would have done something:)..
Thanks a lot for your help, Fuzzy.
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
zoubab

Post by zoubab »

KIO wrote:How does it fit on the Cpu?.. the main thing goes into one of the 2.2" slots and the separate thing onto the CPU?.. it costs a lot though, doesnt it?:)
Fuzzy, can I ask you for a favour, more an advice? I still experience the same GPU problems that i had from the start.. Those that when i play almost any game, I get graphical bugs all over the place... pixels stretching across is the main thing, but i also get texture bugs and stuff like that... In HL2DM its mostly the polygons stretching across the screen from objects, in Bioshock that i launched yesterday it was squares on the screen where the polygon in HL2DM would stretch:).. Doom3 engine on Doom3 and Quake4 is the same problem, but far worse.. older engines seem to tolerate it better - I hardly got any bugs in FarCry. And brand new ones (not bioshock, i figured:)) like Splinter Cell DA - no bugs at all... My concern is whether its progressing or not, so thats one question for you - can a hardware bug progress?.. Ill try to reinstall SplinterCell DA and see again.. The reason Im sure it is a hardware bug is that when I installed the GPU, I was running Win2k and the bug appearance was 100% in HL2DM, i.e. it was ALL OVER THE PLACE and it was impossible to get rid of them... then i installed XP and the bugs reduced, from my knowledge, XP has a better compatibility with games, so it could have partly fixed the problem. I tried different drivers, re-formatted the PC and everyhting - no success... When i play HL2DM and the bugs start to appear at some point, when they get too bad - I minimize the window and go back - this re-sets the renderer, i suppose, and clears the bugs till they start appearing again, sometimes they are not so bad and its playable.. So, back to the point, my sugestion is that the reason is that I have a recent generation GPU (7900GS) installed on an ancient motherboard with 915i chipset, so, basically, I blame the motherboard being so old and incompatible with the graphics card. Another cause of the bugs maybe the GPU itself, but thats a rather unpleasant thought, coz i paid 120 quid for it last year:).. Another reason I would not suggest its the GPU is that if it was a hardware bug, it would be very unlikely that it ONLY expresses itself in that way, nothing else is affected apart from vertex rendering (i think it is)... So, I wasnt gonna tell you the whole story, but Im so desperate for a way out, that I hoped you might help me at east with my reasoning.. I monitored the heat levels of the GPU, with 130C being the factory threshold, it hardly goes above, erm, 50, as far as I remember, when playing HL2DM, not more than that for sure, so it cant be overheating... Soooooo:).. The real question for you is, could you help me find a motherboard model with a newer chipset and an acceptable price? something below 50-60 pounds, coz I looked on the net and its a bit hard to make my way through dozens of them, coz, first, i need to find an acceptable model of the motherboard, and, then, i need to find a cheaper supplier of this acceptable model of the motherboard:).. and I cant get past the first step yet.. I would really appreciate your help.. This post by reminded me that you were an IT technician, so I asked:)..
I know, Cynyx, you work in IT as well,but I think you are to do with software and you wouldnt be able to help with british prices and cheap suppliers, but if youve got any advices for me - I would highly appreciate that too..
too much letters.... :mrgreen: mmm big quote
OMGWTFBBQ
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

My fault, sorry:)
Last edited by KIO on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

Alright, moderator is here:).. its Fuzzy's topic anyway, lets not spam - Zoubab started it and I continued:) so, i take what ive done back and stop:)
really?
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

Alright, moderator is here:).. its Fuzzy's topic anyway, lets not spam - Zoubab started it and I continued:) so, i take what ive done back and stop:)
ofcourse
spongebob is a serial killer!!!!
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

really a stupîd game ... not helps KIO ...lol
FuzzyBear9
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by FuzzyBear9 »

Hehe crazy clan...lol

Actually KIO the second pic is of the head unit which contains the reservoir, pump and radiator to dissipate heat.
There are inflow and outflow tubes that run into the machine via cutouts in a PCI card that contains a small
circuit to regulate power via an RS232 connector.

Those tubes run first to a cpu waterblock then a parallel split between a tube leading back to the head unit and twin
hydrapacks that each sit between a 36.5GB raptor and a 250GB WD2500KS 7200RPM drive. The raptors operate in stripe
and the WD2500s in mirror for data. The tubes then run back to the head unit.

The case is a Coolermaster Stacker 830.

More importantly....we are nuts in our clan! I mean look at the spam on this post. But then...that's what makes us family... :lol:

PS. Glad I could help this afternoon KIO. Best wishes to your family my friend. And to all the moderators...for the stampede hahah!

http://www.koolance.com
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Kiiiiind of makes sense:).. but I had an idea how it works before, just never saw the actual thing.. pump and tank in one place with tubes running to the actual heatsink on the cpu... so, i guess the liquid gets cooler by running through the radiator in the main unit? or is it like in the fridge - with a compressor and frion?:)
Yeah, thank you very much, fuzzy.. It was very helpful, as this is the way im gonna do it:)