Do we have a decal problem?

Maps, decals, textures, graphics, videos...
FougereDeGuerre

Do we have a decal problem?

Post by FougereDeGuerre »

It's a long time that I wonder if the decals are spread with the maps, or if another file should be done in order to spread the decals. (Or to inclute them in the map archive (like i do for the hangar logo's), but then the map size is increased).

In order to answer, check thefollowing decals and just say if you see those decals.

Decals (here from killbox_Emc2_v1, but if you see those one you should also be able to see those from other maps):
Image Image Image Image

Thanks for your feedback on this problem...
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

I show the decal ... but i'm not sure that the good one... because on mine the url of the site is not like your screenshot.
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

I don't have any of those decals
[B§] steambob

Post by [B§] steambob »

Greetings to everybody!

Concerning the decals. One has to put the decal names in the downloads.txt file of Mani configuration. This makes the decals be downloaded automatically when a user connects to the server. Otherwise the decals should be installed manually.

See you.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

[B§] steambob wrote:Greetings to everybody!

Concerning the decals. One has to put the decal names in the downloads.txt file of Mani configuration.
Hi steambob. Welcome here.

I think files are automatically downloaded because i can see decals and i have never done manualy installation (however, I can't see the last version of the decals, once downloaded they are not replaced by newer)
But I can add the list of decal files in the download file of Mani if it can solve the problem... But is it not possible to include decals in map file ?
FougereDeGuerre

I have added the decals used in hangar in the hangar map file, but that involved that the size of the map file was 500 ko greater. So, if we put the decals in the map file, the file would be greater and if one of the decal are used in more than one map, that involves that the decal would be downloaded at least two times...

So, if you prefer maps of little size, the solution is to include the one steambob propose to us. And I think it is the best one, because each decal would be downloaded only once.

PS: If you have decompressed the first map archive on your computer, then the first decals (not the one on the server now) are installed "manualy".
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
[B§] steambob

Post by [B§] steambob »

Hmm, from what I know decals cannot be added to the bsp file, except they are textures. Did you really manage to put them in the map bsp-file?

Also local (user) decals will probably not be updated if the filenames are the same unless one deletes the old versions manually.
FougereDeGuerre

If I'm right (but I'm still a noob to mapping, now I think I have the bases, nothing more), we can add everything (model, texture, decal's, ...) in the bsp with the bspzip method. I used this program to add two little custom decals to one of the map. But I don't want to use this method for the decal's we use on more than one map. For each texture we add, the bsp is increased by about 300 ko.

Thus, the method you proposed seems better to me, but I'm not a server admin, so I can't apply it.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

FougereDeGuerre wrote: Thus, the method you proposed seems better to me, but I'm not a server admin, so I can't apply it.
I have understood ... I will do it...
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

It's done ...
Work for me.
I have removed decals files from in my local computer ... and files were be downloaded.
FougereDeGuerre

Thanks Cynyx, this decal problem is now fixed.