An E=mc² clan spray?

Maps, decals, textures, graphics, videos...
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

An E=mc² clan spray?

Post by Cynyx »

I think it will be nice if all members have the same spray tag. Now Fougere post the way to activate it... We have to create one... a good... in order to federate the team.
Waiting for proposition ...

post TGA image here ... and all members will choose the best. I will try to do one this week end.
FougereDeGuerre

Post by FougereDeGuerre »

A very simple one: the one I used in dm_hangar.
This is a jpg version because ImageShack don't seem to recognize TGA as image file.

La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

This logo idea is good I have also said it...
But ...
- i don't like the clouds (photoshop noob filter lol)
- perhaps a better typo police (i have many nice...)
FougereDeGuerre

The cloud effect isn't here for doing a white and blue texture (like the one i give to you for an intro image), it's for the transparency, and thus to make a tag seeming to be old :!: The image is a simple blue logo, and the cloudy effect is applicated on the alpha channel.

Noob effect, yeah, I'm a noob, I used it for the first time for doing a magma texture 4 weeks ago. :lol:
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

FougereDeGuerre wrote:The cloud effect isn't here for doing a white and blue texture (like the one i give to you for an intro image), it's for the transparency, and thus to make a tag seeming to be old :!: The image is a simple blue logo, and the cloudy effect is applicated on the alpha channel.
so next time don't export alpha channel if we don't see it in game ... I'm curious about how image are proceding in HL.
FougereDeGuerre

How to present the transparency of our spray without using the alpha layer :?:
I agree, the result on a white background isn't very revelant.

How does HL2 proceed. I don't know exactly, but I have made a stage in Mulhouse and the subject was a real time tracking with a standard webcam, so I know some basics in the colour image processing. Using an alpha layer for transparency permits a specific transparency for each pixel in the Spray.

I assume that the when you spray, your computer (maybe the server, but that involve that the server take a copy of each of the players decals) take the wallbackground on wich you want to spray. Then, a simple mathematical operation can give you the final decal that should be transmitted to all the other computers.

Code: Select all

//Assume we have a squared picture with a width of k pixel
//we use S for the Spray, D for Decal(Spray mixed with the background wall) and W for the background wall 
//we use r for the red layer, g for green, b for blue, and a for the alpha one. 
//An example: S(i,j,a)= the value of the alpha layer at the (i,j) pixel.

for i= 1 to k {//we have to transform all the rows
        for j= 1 to k {//we have to transform all the columns
            transparency = S(i,j,a) / maxV  //maxV is the white value, if we use 
                                            //8 bits for the alpha layer, then its 256,
                                            //if we use 4 bits (DXT5 compression)
                                            //then its 16, ...
            D(i,j,r) = S(i,j,r)*transparency + W(i,j,r)*(1-transparency)
            D(i,j,g) = S(i,j,g)*transparency + W(i,j,g)*(1-transparency)
            D(i,j,b) = S(i,j,b)*transparency + W(i,j,b)*(1-transparency)
        }
    }
I think that the code he use looks like this one in the case of the traslucent flag is one in the vmt file. I think that everybody who has already programmed can understand my post, sorry for the others. :oops:

Cynyx, I hope it is a good answer to your question.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

Extract of code is better for me than words ... thanks Fougere !
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Nice idea... but the "Hl2" logo style is not very original, I think... i might be wrong.. i have an idea of my own, but no time to make it:).. ill do it on friday.. it will represent the policies of the clan:).. but not sure whether it will look good really small.. so i ll try and make it.. BUT... I am not really confident with that transparency stuff... so if im making it in Photoshop, even.. or Corel Photopaint 12, how do i do it so it works with transparency properly, can u explain it, please...
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
FougereDeGuerre

Under photoshop, you have a window showing you the calcs you use for your image. There is another tab you can choose in the top of this window. This one bring you the colours layers. In bottom of this tab, there is a button to add a layer. Just add a layer, which is the alpha layer used to determine the transparency.
Here are some screens, maybe more usefull than text:

Image Image Image

On this alpha layer, a white pixels mean that this pixels on the RGB layers would be used without using transparency. A black pixel mean that the rgb value of this pixel has no importance, it wouldn't be used. A grey value give a partial transparency to the rgb value of this pixel, according to gry level (more white => less transparent, more black => more transparent).

When you save your file, save it as a TGA with 32 bits (24 for the RGB layer, and 8 for the alpha layer you just add).
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Thanks, Fougere... I ll do it that way then...
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

I made the logo... here is it
BUT... Fougere, i added the transparency layer, like u said and it is supposed to give a texture to the image - graffity-style old spray... but it doesnt show anywhere... yes, i converted it to jpg for imageshack... but, when u converted it - the transparency appeared and it doesnt on mine... any suggestions anyone?:)..
FougereDeGuerre

The transparency doesn't appear, on mine it doesn't appear too. I cheat to show you this result, because I don't know how to export this transparency to another format. So, I created a new calc having for RGB layer exactly the alpha layer of my image calc. So, just copy the whole alpha layer and the past it. Then choose the Supperposition oppion for the fusion mode. For me it worked, but I don't guaranted it's exactly the same as a transparency.

For a real result, just use it als spray on a HL2 wall, and take a shot.

I'm not disappointed at all, KIO, nice work. I love it. Especially the E=mc2 word, the effect on and arround it is very nice. Is it a special font or do you made it yourself? It does not matter, very nice ....
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Thanks, Fougere...
Thats a font...I can give u the link to it:).. the problem is it has to be E=mc², but on mine its E= MC, as font only has capital letters.. which is not completely right:).. Cynyx suggested another font, so I am doing it now... other changes are: a thicker cross on the SMG and a grenade instead of happy combine face:).. the font I am using now is totally of different style, so I am not sure whether it will look good.. I am thinking of an anoher font with similar style now..
Yeah, I managed to get the transparency appear, I just thought it should have been as on your picture... So ill have another version or two today.. with transparency..
People, make more versions - so there would be more to choose from:)..
OwG
E=mc² member

Post by OwG »

Beautiful ;).
FougereDeGuerre

KYO, while i was searching to improve the image I posted on the other topic, I founded another solution to export your transparency in a jpg file. In fact don't add a calc like I said, but add a fusion mask, select it and paste your alpha layer in it. Maybe it's the same, but you don't increase the number of line in your mask property.

I'm still a noob with that wonderfull software, I learn everyday...
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Ha-ha.. I made it:)... here it is... I m going to make a game screenshot of it as well... a bit later...
[img=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9046/gamelogojpgzm4.th.jpg]
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

federalic
E=mc² member

Post by federalic »

LOL, looks very,VERY GOOD...good work KIO
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

nice job effectivly
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

Nice logo KIO
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Post by DHR_000x »

I like KIOs one too; there's my version.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/121/ ... zm4tf2.jpg
Last edited by DHR_000x on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Thank you Cynyx and anti-fougere...

Thanks, DHR_000x... Could have left the "play with style.." sentense on it:).. U edited it as jpg, didnt u?.. it will not be transparent:).. the box will be white...
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Post by DHR_000x »

Yeah, if i use the .JPG file the box will be white, but for easy transparency works i've got an easy solution (i'll try to explain me):

-Take pic on photoshop and select the white areas pressing "w" and then "del".
-Save it as .TGA file and you got an usable spray with no background.

Just an easy way :wink:
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

DHR_000x wrote:Yeah, if i use the .JPG file the box will be white, but for easy transparency works i've got an easy solution (i'll try to explain me):

-Take pic on photoshop and select the white areas pressing "w" and then "del".
-Save it as .TGA file and you got an usable spray with no background.

Just an easy way :wink:
Yes, but it wont be truly transparent:).. because the grey boxes are semi-transparent as well and the text is. It doesnt make much difference, though:). I know. But if u want I can send you the real tga I made, or the photoshop project to play with.

And to others, as well:
1.Do we need a representative clan spray or not?
2.Do we agree to mine or are we still choosing?
3.If we agree to mine, does anybody want me to send them the tga, or the spray itself? Or does anybody want their name on it?
4.If we are still choosing - I am always happy to help, or to look at others':).
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

PEEEEEOOOPLEEEE...
Do u hear me?:)
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

For the moment, spray isn't decided.

1 - one E=mc² spray per member ?
2 - one spray for the team ?

because for the moment, i like all ... so i create mine i think.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

OK:).. I was just worrying:)..
[PCM] BackAgain

Post by [PCM] BackAgain »

Very nice spray logo. This topic inspires me to create a PCM spray logo. Thx for inspiration. ;-)

Greetz BackAgain
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

[PCM] BackAgain wrote:Very nice spray logo. This topic inspires me to create a PCM spray logo. Thx for inspiration. ;-)

Greetz BackAgain
We have a spy :D