Lagz

All things you want to say
F1r3
E=mc² member

Lagz

Post by F1r3 »

I have a problem that drives me crazy :uncool: When I play hl2dm, no matter which server I'm on (ping 5 or ping 95, makes no difference) I get occasional lags: everything freezes for 3-4 secs, after that I'm usually dead <_<. I have a 50 Mbit broadband and a Wi-Fi router. 3-4 years ago when I was active on DM everything used to be fine but now it has become a nightmare :(
Any ideas how to fix this mess? Maybe run some software that can help diagnose my internet connection? Install antivirus and run a full virus scan? Check my router settings? :dunno:
Really want to get this sorted out before saturday eve ..
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Re: Lagz

Post by DHR_000x »

As a CIO of a company, have you tried turning it off and on again? :smart:

JK... Well theres obviously a cut in the connection, maybe due to paket loss? Your ISP can check that for you. On the other hand, i suppose you dont have this problem on other games? Because if so, it will get difficult. Does the game keep working when it "freezes"? Like, can you still open the menu through ESC or something? That can narrow it down a little, to know if it is a connection or a software issue.
F1r3
E=mc² member

Post by F1r3 »

DHR_000x wrote:have you tried turning it off and on again? :smart:
ofc! I even unplugged the power cord :zombie:
DHR_000x wrote:maybe due to paket loss?
I thought the same
DHR_000x wrote:Your ISP can check that for you.
That's my last resort, I want to try to solve this on my own first :deal:
DHR_000x wrote:i suppose you dont have this problem on other games?
LoL I have no idea, I haven't played anything except hl2dm during the past 3-4 years. I don't even have other games installed.
DHR_000x wrote:Does the game keep working when it "freezes"? Like, can you still open the menu through ESC or something? That can narrow it down a little, to know if it is a connection or a software issue.
I will check this today if I have time. Thx Dhr :cool2:
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

Is your game installed on a classic HDD? Does it happen with a server sound!?!

Because a known problem is that your hdd is in sleep mode and the game don't load every server sounds in RAM! So when you die (generally) you have a freeze simply because you're computer awake your hdd and load the sound... It's like that since and update (can't remember which one).

If you want to be sure it's this, simply be aware of which sound is being played when you die. When the sound is played once, you don't have any probleme (with this sound) till you stop playing!

A simple fix is to disable sleep mode for this HDD in windows! Another one is installing the game on a SSD! :)
spongebob is a serial killer!!!!
F1r3
E=mc² member

Post by F1r3 »

anti fougere wrote:Is your game installed on a classic HDD? Does it happen with a server sound!?!
Yes, classic HDD, not SSD. It happens randomly, most often when I'm alive and fighting someone.
anti fougere wrote:A simple fix is to disable sleep mode for this HDD in windows!
I have all sleep modes disabled for everything. I'm on a "max perfomance" power plan:
anti fougere wrote:A simple fix is to disable sleep mode for this HDD in windows! Another one is installing the game on a SSD! :)
Not sure if SSD will help, I think the chances are great that this is a connection problem.
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

Not sure if SSD will help, I think the chances are great that this is a connection problem.
If it's about the sounds, be sure it helped me! I had freeze with every server sounds!
F1r3
E=mc² member

Post by F1r3 »

No lags during yesterday's game on emc2 and friends server... Im confused. I'll keep this thread updated as I investigate further into this matter.
F1r3
E=mc² member

Post by F1r3 »

Ok lags are very rare now (maybe once every 30-60 mins). I think it was a problem with my ISP ? :dunno:
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

F1r3 wrote:Ok lags are very rare now (maybe once every 30-60 mins). I think it was a problem with my ISP ? :dunno:
Dunno! yesterday I was having lot's of lags! Usually I never have any lags! Maybe It comes from server! I have a check!