number of player: max 12
properties :
435 Solids
2603 Faces
245 PointEntities
20 SolidEntities
15 UniqueTextures

Description:

This map is an unusual killbox map. The gameplay is a little bit different, mainly because there is a three points random teleportation system.

This map is a square one, like standards killbox, but in this box, there are 2 superposed rooms, each of these room having 2 opposite access, and one roof access aligned. The bottom room has a jumppad just under the roof access, so you can jump accross the two room and come in the square box.

There are 2 sets of platforms in this map. The firs one is a platform surrounding the whole box, and the second one is a circle at the top of the map, connecting the top teleportaion, the big healthcharger, and the first platform set.

Another teleportation is on the first platform, and the last teleportation is on the bottom room.

ScreenShots:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Note:

Map performances: I just pointed out here the actions made to increase the performances:
  • Any architectural pieces (the two arches, the rounded corners, ...) are tied to the funcdetail entity, who is less computer and graphical consuming than standard brushes.

Any invisibles faces are textured whith the nodraw texture, which permit to spare the calculs involved with thoses invisible faces.

No dynamical lighting, every dynamical flag is disable.

No HDR informations. All HDR brightness flags are disable.
Suggestion:
  • The jumppad cause some problem to some players, who aren't able to move quicly out of the pad. For me this is not a problem, because with a little training, it's easy to get out where you want. If it's a problem for you, it can be fixed of two diffent way.
      The first one: just make the roof access bigger.
      The second one: make the pad smaller. This one is more difficult. In fact the jumppad is an imported model, so I can't (until now) resize it in hammer. But I can restrict the jumpad effect to a smaller zone, because another brush is responsible of the real jump, the model is there only to look nice.
    If it seems to be lack of performance, here are some possibilities to improve the performance:
    • Change the physics entities to physics multiplayer entities: the collision between object is then going to be less accurate, beccause the server will use a less detailed model than the real object.

Change the model used for the teleporters. Until now, I'm not able to do this because I don't know the syntax of the files needed for a model. In fact, the model I used (the only teleporters model) was unconsistent, you can pass trhough its armature. So I made a "nodraw" wall around the armature of the teleporter, and tied it to a func_wall entity to disable the display and the generation of shadows for this invisible wall. This additional wall isn't needde anymore if i'm able to modifi the model file so that the model become a standard static model.
Feel free to post any suggestion in order to improve this map, on visual effect, design and gameplay.

Download link:

DOWNLOAD HERE
Last edited by FougereDeGuerre on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

"[img]" tags in the message didnot work, or it is just me..
and url tags as well...
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
OwG
E=mc² member

Post by OwG »

Wait, Cynyx will update the link ;).
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Post by DHR_000x »

YOU said:
"Change the model used for the teleporters. Until now, I'm not able to do this because I don't know the syntax of the files needed for a model. In fact, the model I used (the only teleporters model) was unconsistent, you can pass trhough its armature. So I made a "nodraw" wall around the armature of the teleporter, and tied it to a func_wall entity to disable the display and the generation of shadows for this invisible wall. This additional wall isn't needde anymore if i'm able to modifi the model file so that the model become a standard static model."

An easyer way to made a invisible wall is build up a brush with "player clip" texture. Thats all hehe, my way to do it. 8)
Last edited by DHR_000x on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FougereDeGuerre

Post by FougereDeGuerre »

Yes, thanks for this solution. But if I remember good, the player clip lets the object and bullets go through, so that You can kill someone through the teleport system. If we decide that we can kill through, then the player clip is a good solution.

But the real matter is this set of brushes to do this invisible wall (involve unecessary calculation). They aren't needed if I can change the properties for this model and transform it to a standard static one :wink:
La misere des amis n'est pas plus amusante qu'un jardin dont la flore est mourante.
FougereDeGuerre

This map seems funny to play but has one matter :
The fisrt floor is can be a great camping place. A well skilled player in that floor can do some carnages.

Cynyx proposed to remove somespawnpoints of this room. If this solution will probably decrease the size of the carnage, it will not made this place more dangerous for campers.

Another idea is to open one or two doors in the walls, so that the camper is more exposed, or to make the existing access more breed. Maybe also add another roof access, or something like that.

If you have any idea, please give it to us so that we can correct the map.
If you want, I can also give you the vmf file so that you can transform it by yourself in hammer.

Another important point: I dislike the texture I used in this map, they aren't beautifull. If you have any idea to improve the apparence of the wall, or some decal to put on the wall to make them more good looking, don't hesitate.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

FougereDeGuerre wrote:This map seems funny to play but has one
I love it !
FougereDeGuerre wrote: Another important point: I dislike the texture I used in this map, they aren't beautifull. If you have any idea to improve the apparence of the wall, or some decal to put on the wall to make them more good looking, don't hesitate.
I love the texture ... because it's not dark for my eyes !!! Choose a britgh texture if u change!
FougereDeGuerre

V2 on the way:
Changes:
This was my first map, so I worked like a noob, and used some tools without taking care to the number of brush resulting. So, i reworked it today. I tried to made clean rouded corners, clean circular platforms, and so on... To give you some idea of the improvement done:

For the v1:
  • 1209 solids used (bloc used to create the map (walls, roof, floor, ...))
  • 7266 faces (total number of faces of thoses blocs)
  • 270 point entities (lights, weapons, ammo, spawnpoints, objects, ...)
  • 16 solid entities
  • 16 textures
  • map size: 2417 ko

For the v2:
  • 435 solids used
  • 2603 faces
  • 245 point entities (removed two unused entities and some objects)
  • 20 solid entities (setting some of the bruch in func details)
  • 15 textures
  • map size: 1629 ko
I don't know exactly the impact of this on the fps, because most of the brush I changed and removed where with the nodraw texture (thus theoritically not calculated), but i presume those change will improve the fps on the map.

Now, I'm going to try some other textures...
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

I haven't seen performance issues on this map...
But i trust you Fougere to bring this one better.
EEE K t Pillo

Post by EEE K t Pillo »

I like much this map, and the idea to open 2 doors pleases to me more, thus, will be necessary to leave inside the before possible thing there but I repeat is of the maps that please to me more.
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

Nice work Fougere.
I think this map is better now.

I will update the link download as soon as possible.
Reign

Post by Reign »

very good map, im happy with the design and skill it offers. top one.

i look forward to kicking your fu*king ass! (mind my french)
Reign - Rachel
Canavar_mg

Post by Canavar_mg »

:D thank you for map..
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

Canavar_mg wrote::D thank you for map..
welcome on forum ... and thanks for support us !