E=mc² member

Re: [E=mc²] hl2dm map : dm_killarena_Emc2_v2

Post by DHR_000x »

Goodwill wins :beer:
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

Just tested this mod of dm_killarena_Emc2 map ...

I have some textures problems with this map : I dunno if it's due to my pc, server or the map :

Image Image Image Image

u can see log here :

about gameplay
:

mod version
Image Image Image

original version :

The original ramp around the map (pic1) is more accessible because 2 bridges have been removed (pic 2,pic3)... but in fact bunnyhoping is not so hard and if movements are done in a good way u are not blocked with bridges of original version (pic 4) and u can turn around the map exactly in same way. But with the removing of the 2 bridges, it's 2 ways removed to gain the second floor ... and i'm really not sure it's a good thing (u are less faster on second floor than in the original version)...

mod version :
Removing 2 bridges, removing 2 ways to gain top : compensate by one (and only one way) this lift. why not ... even if in my opinion an interresting part of the original gameplay is removed ... when the map is full of players, actions is concentrated in corridors and ... in the center of the map. It's very fun to spam the central room with combine ball in order to kill (eventually) people gaining armor in the original hidden secret ... and it's also a challenge to gain armor ... during u get it u can spam too with combine balls u have or u bring back ...

mod version :
I prefer original props ... chainbow items are more funny (stuck in wall etc), troller can be used easier to jump high... a good point big helico is removed( but it's also a personal opinion because i hate it ...)

In a general way, i prefer textures from the original version... exception for lights in teleport, perhaps nicer in the mod version.

So in general, first impressions : i think the original one is better (particular in gameplay) but it's true that needs to be tested with more players to get a final judgement. For the moment due to all these points, i don't think we will add this map to our server. More of that, mod map is too similar to the original one to have a server running the original and the mod version.

Next steps for testing : a full server of E=mc² players to have their own opinions ...

and i want to add a thing : every admin or clan want makes their own particular gameplay. I don't want to say the mod is a shit or blame the work of the mapper (I'm even not able to make a cube in SDK lol ...) . Just i think the original one is more the thing we want ... at least for the moment.
FuzzyBear9
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by FuzzyBear9 »

Very nice review/post Cyndy.
First BE - Then DO - Only then TELL
[BK]AC1

Post by [BK]AC1 »

hi there..

ummm.. wondering why the decals won´t show up?? :upset:
packed all into the .bsp using packrat.. that´s really strange
need to check out what went wrong there.. and fix it
btw ..where & when did u DL it?? is it the version with Emc in the name??

but u can try the following thing..
run the command .. buildcubemaps .. in console
maybe this can fix the decal thing

rotors are removed in every map on our servers,
cause lots of players hate them.. lol

middle column charger & balls was removed,
to get rid of heavy ballcamping inside the secret.
the acid trap was added to surprise players usually doing this.. ;evil

and to avoid gettin bad fps by too many physics..
i removed some and add the custom ones,
just to make it more different to the original one,
also thats why i retexture stuff around..

don´t get me wrong,
but just wanna say, its a thing of personal taste..
some like the mod, some don´t..
not easy to make it perfect for everyone.

anyway thx for pointing things out..
maybe do some changes in a future release

regards
°L!$T€N 2 the H!§$s°
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

[BK]AC1 wrote:hi there..
ummm.. wondering why the decals won´t show up?? :upset:
packed all into the .bsp using packrat.. that´s really strange
need to check out what went wrong there.. and fix it
btw ..where & when did u DL it?? is it the version with Emc in the name??
Downloaded from fps banana.
Perhaps 1 hour before this post on the forum (23 april around 8.00 pm GMT)
It's the map with the Emc in the name as we can check it on the capture with the log.
[BK]AC1 wrote: rotors are removed in every map on our servers,
cause lots of players hate them.. lol
Same for me ... no skill prop ^^
[BK]AC1 wrote: middle column charger & balls was removed,
to get rid of heavy ballcamping inside the secret.
the acid trap was added to surprise players usually doing this.. ;evil
2 type of gameplay ...
[BK]AC1 wrote: don´t get me wrong,
but just wanna say, its a thing of personal taste..
some like the mod, some don´t..
not easy to make it perfect for everyone.
You right. All ideas u have developped in the mod map is all things u dislike in the orginal map ... and I think we like the things u dislike ... mod map fits to ur own idea of gameplay should be in HL2DM and it can't fit for everyone, even if i'm sure it can fit for many people :).
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

I think I'll also rebuild that map. There are some details that make this map a bit crap but no big changes llike this mod map :). I already wanted to do it before but I never found the time :cranky: . Anyway I must first finish map projects that I started and that I never finished.

I almost finished two of them this weekend but I'm so lazy and I prefer playing :zombie: .
spongebob is a serial killer!!!!
DARKIUSMAXIMUS
E=mc² member

Post by DARKIUSMAXIMUS »

well anti i love the maps but better to play u on them :-P :cool2:
BETTER CLAN MATES YOU COULDENT WISH FOR
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Post by DHR_000x »

anti fougere wrote:I think I'll also rebuild that map. There are some details that make this map a bit crap but no big changes llike this mod map :). I already wanted to do it before but I never found the time :cranky: . Anyway I must first finish map projects that I started and that I never finished.

I almost finished two of them this weekend but I'm so lazy and I prefer playing :zombie: .

when i use one of those elevator on that map i always (fu KIO xD) crunch ma head against one of the bridges :zombie:
Last edited by DHR_000x on Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

DHR_000x wrote:
anti fougere wrote:I think I'll also rebuild that map. There are some details that make this map a bit crap but no big changes llike this mod map :). I already wanted to do it before but I never found the time :cranky: . Anyway I must first finish map projects that I started and that I never finished.

when i use one of those elevator on that map i ever crunch ma head against one of the bridges :zombie:
ALWAYS :rofl:
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."
DHR_000x
E=mc² member

Post by DHR_000x »

i posted somewhere else today, and i remember that i deleted "ever" to write "always".... but forgot it twice :zombie:
anti fougere
E=mc² member

Post by anti fougere »

DHR_000x wrote: when i use one of those elevator on that map i always (fu KIO xD) crunch ma head against one of the bridges :zombie:
Right ;) that's one of the shitty stuff that need to be improved :deal: . Usually when I play I take the lifts form left to right to avoid that :zombie:
spongebob is a serial killer!!!!
F1r3
E=mc² member

Post by F1r3 »

KIO wrote:
DHR_000x wrote:

when i use one of those elevator on that map i ever crunch ma head against one of the bridges :zombie:
ALWAYS :rofl:
KIO the grammar nazi :D

:zombie:
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Hahaha, loved the mcdonalds one:)))
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."