About gravity

Comments and suggestions about E=mc² servers
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

About gravity

Post by Cynyx »

To continue the discussion started by KIO... What's about the gravity?

On E=mc² server, gravity is fixed to 450 (I think it's low value)

However, it's funny to play on very high value like 1000 ("People can fly"), I think such gravity is not an avantage for the E=mc² clan.
No run, No stick ... Only an avantage to .357 fan. Boring.
FougereDeGuerre

Post by FougereDeGuerre »

Cynyx, sorry to say that but I think that you are wrong in your logic :?

If the gravity is high, you can't jump at all. If the gravity is very low, you can fly. This is quite more logical. Just think about astronauts. On the moon, the gravity is 6 times less than on the Earth. The astronauts jumps six times longer on the moon than on the Earth.

Here are the extremes gravity values for HL2 and the standard one:

sv_gravity 0 You can float and walk in air for amount of time.Highest jump
sv_gravity 800 The normal jump
sv_gravity 999 You can't jump at all

So theoritically, we use a quite low gravity value, and we float more in the air than with a normal gravity. But after playing a while on your server, it seems that we still can do fast running, and thus it seems that the effect of using a gravity of 450 (thus not the normal one) don't affect too much the player movement. But maybe this as a more important impact on the object than on the player. The object remain longer in the air, so fly more before hitting the ground.

I don't know exactly why, but it seems that our gravity act like the normal one :shock:
Cynyx
E=mc² Member, Site Admin

Post by Cynyx »

so gravity is not effected on our server ?
I setted the gravity and the speed with djujulien at the beginning of the server...
So, we have to test that if it's the wrong values.
KIO
E=mc² member

Post by KIO »

Yes, Cynyx, Fougere is right:)..
Gravity is the force that PULLS you TOWARDS the ground.. and the "jumping" force does not change... The higher the sv_gravity value is (900, 1000) the stronger you will be pulled down to the ground, if u put something like 100000 in there - you will die by just dropping from a meter height:)... If sv_gravity value is 800 - this is normal and realistic.. If it is lower than that (450)- there is less force pulling you to the ground, so u will jump higher and fall slower...
Fougere, you are probably just used to the gravity now:).. play on the E=mc2 server for an hour and then go to a different server with normal gravity - you will see the difference:)..
QOTD: O2 Broadband Usage policy:"...you can download as much as you like, but not more than 100GB per month..."